Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Preferred or recommended.‘she was his favoured candidate’‘the most favoured destination of visitors to Canada’
- ‘At this point everyone urges a favored solution.’
- ‘In this way, she enacted the role of the favored little girl, a role she had never been able to perform during her own childhood.’
- ‘For favored employees, there are lavish perks and lots of opportunities for advancement.’
- ‘Well, it seems I have adapted my daughter's favored method of coping.’
- ‘In other scenes, they are also shown holding hands and nose-kissing, the favored form of kissing in ancient Egypt.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.