Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
noun & adjectiveinformal
- [as noun] ‘a playlist of classic disco faves’short for favourite[as adjective] ‘my fave team has to be Nottingham Forest’‘she rattles off the names of her fav celebs’
- ‘My personal faves were anything with the RKO radio picture symbol at the start.’
- ‘A screen showed some odd home movies and clips while the Beasties disappeared again, only to re-emerge in orange tracksuits to play another huge bracket of old and new faves.’
- ‘Being a music junkie from birth, I've been blessed to either witness or hear performances by some very special male vocalists, accumulating faves along the way.’
- ‘The language of the hymn held a subversive appeal for the working classes, and her ribald treatments of these school assembly faves is irresistible.’
- ‘This is one of my faves, dealing with a haunted young man yearning to return to a mysterious ruined beach-front castle, where a beautiful girl in white cared for him one night in his youth.’
- ‘I applaud his continued enthusiasm for loud, guitar-based rock music, and hope he continues to champion his faves.’
- ‘‘Here Comes The Sun’ and ‘Old Brown Shoe’ were a couple of my faves.’
- ‘But if you look to the links section on the homepage sidebar you'll see a link for my ‘personal faves’ section, which has a dozen or so of my sentimental faves.’
- ‘In our yearly bid to help you along with your office or party Oscar pool, here are the odds-on faves in the official categories, at least according to our readers.’
- ‘Seriously, this is one of my top ten all time faves.’
- ‘Years ago, afforded the opportunity to read long runs of classic funnypage faves, I found some were readable and some were not.’
- ‘I've trawled through all the usual faves.’
- ‘I find the following in an interview with a fave celebrity crush to be a turn-on.’
- ‘They offered over a hundred daily comic strips and once you'd set up a free account, one single URL would bring up all of your faves on one page.’
- ‘He's coming back to the mother country armed with lots of new songs as well as a bunch of old crowd faves.’
- ‘‘Another Man's Woman, Another Woman's Man’ is one of my personal faves: the agony is actually palpable.’
- ‘The menu changes weekly, but you can expect unexpected combinations and traditional faves, with prices hovering around the #2.95 mark.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.