Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- North American term for broad bean
- ‘This has already been reported in O. foetida on faba bean and winter chickpea in North Africa.’
- ‘For the fava bean and artichoke purée: Place all ingredients in a food processor fitted with metal blade.’
- ‘The consortium is helping small farmers grow high-value horticultural and medicinal crops, as well as chickpea, faba bean, potato and peanut.’
- ‘Add the peas, fava beans, carrots, leeks, and vegetable stock.’
- ‘A handsome salad of wild fennel, fava beans, asparagus, and bufala ricotta is too monotonously smooth, but endive-and-black-truffle salad is a lovely combination of silk and sass.’
- ‘Studies in different legume species such as faba bean, pea and soybean have established a positive correlation between cotyledon cell number and mature seed size.’
- ‘Add the garlic, haricot verts, fava beans, tomato, fennel, scallions, and basil.’
- ‘You can use crimson-flowered fava bean as an ornamental.’
- ‘The main courses served on the night were home-made ricotta gnocchi, tossed with fresh fava bean and black truffle, and oven roasted Australian beef tenderloin with assorted vegetables and Barolo red wine sauce.’
- ‘In the back yard right now, I have growing garlic, onions, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, fava beans, shallots, spinach, chard, peas, rutabagas and parsley - no lawn.’
- ‘This materialized into codfish fillets, baked on a bed of green onions and sprinkled with fava beans, whole cranberries and pistachios.’
- ‘Lay the roasted fig on a fig leaf along with the dressed fava bean salad.’
- ‘Tuna tartare, served in hollowed-out lemons, is vitalized with an unexpected foursome of currants, pine nuts, fava beans, and sun-dried tomatoes.’
- ‘Drizzle plate with fava bean purée and pork jus.’
- ‘An event like a fava bean open house is something people just are not going to find anywhere outside a CSA.’
- ‘Spread compost or manure on unplanted areas or sow fall-sown cover crops, such as clover, Austrian field peas, fava beans, vetch and winter wheat.’
- ‘To test resistance to the wasps, he caged the different groups of infected aphids on individual fava bean plants by inverting plastic drink cups over the potted plants with aphids.’
- ‘I plant hybrid tomatoes, but grow heirloom chick peas, fava beans, lettuce, and cucumbers (to list but a few).’
- ‘Figure 1C shows the penetration point on the root of a resistant faba bean.’
- ‘Only two pulses were highly susceptible to feeding damage, with cowpea aphid establishing critical populations on faba bean and lentil.’
Italian fava, from Latin faba bean.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.