One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
For want of a better alternative.‘women often couldn't pay the fines, and sheriffs could end up imprisoning them faute de mieux’
- ‘The lack of American bases in the Pacific also led, faute de mieux, to fleet self-subsistence and long-range capability.’
- ‘But he paints a poignant picture: his sticking to his circle, faute de mieux, is presumably a direct consequence of the events that have defined his short and turbulent life.’
- ‘It has reached the point now where he is regarded faute de mieux in some quarters as an acceptable guarantor of stability in an inherently unstable and fragmented country.’
- ‘Thus, faute de mieux, we follow many others in continuing to use CVs, albeit with caution.’
- ‘Although nebulous - even logically suspect - these concepts provided, faute de mieux, the tools for deriving the great wealth of results the calculus had made possible.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.