Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
valve, spout, stopcock, cock, spileView synonyms
- ‘This is also the time to shut off outdoor faucets and install freeze-proof faucet covers as needed.’
- ‘Some older houses were built without shutoff valves that connect the plumbing to their toilets or faucets.’
- ‘The 2 main faucet types most commonly used are compression faucets and mixing faucets.’
- ‘The hole patterns of your old faucet should match the pattern of the new faucet.’
- ‘You can buy a small, round sink and a tall faucet at any plumbing supply store.’
- ‘Sometimes chunks of this corrosion can break away and get lodged in valves or faucets.’
- ‘Cover outside faucets using a faucet insulation kit available at home centers.’
- ‘Outside, turn the hose faucet and the gate valve for the sprinkler system on.’
- ‘It was constructed of green marble, and water spouted from golden faucets fashioned after leopard heads.’
- ‘Aren't the faucets sold in hardware stores the same faucets plumbers supply?’
- ‘Battery or hardwired systems are the most common; however, innovations range from solar-powered faucets to faucets that generate their own electricity.’
- ‘Repair leaky faucets promptly; a leaky faucet wastes gallons of water in a short period.’
- ‘Also, the tap on the tank where the treated water is stored flows more slowly than the tap on your regular faucet.’
- ‘This case-control study examined 18 randomly selected sensor-operated faucets and 18 handle-operated faucets.’
- ‘I could now water everything on the farm just by turning on the faucet and fiddling with a few valves from time to time.’
- ‘After the sink is positioned and securely in place, you can attach the faucet to the plumbing source.’
- ‘Is bottled better than what's on tap in our faucets?’
- ‘Some flush valves and faucets make it easier to replace key wear components.’
- ‘This includes not only faucets and flush valves, but also automated soap dispensers and time-release cleaning solutions that help prevent buildup caused by heavy minerals in hard water.’
- ‘In this case, shut the water to the entire house, and plan on changing out the stop valves as well as the faucet.’
Late Middle English (denoting a bung for the vent hole of a cask, or a tap for drawing liquid from a container): from Old French fausset, from Provençal falset, from falsar to bore. The current sense dates from the mid 19th century.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.