Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Unable to be measured or understood; extremely deep:‘staring into a pair of cold, fathomless grey eyes’‘the fathomless depths of the novel’
enigmatic, mysterious, impenetrable, incomprehensible, unfathomable, opaque, profound, deepbottomless, unfathomable, unfathomed, unsounded, immeasurable, endless, infinite, measurelessView synonyms
- ‘Unable to contemplate the truth of what we do, we extract from our fathomless collective guilt a story of primordial innocence.’
- ‘It's an image of fathomless, shocking power, like lifting a trap door and glimpsing something beautiful and noisome, fascinating and unknowable.’
- ‘What an infinitesimal fraction of time's fathomless abyss is assigned to each of us!’
- ‘Her faith in my indestructibility is a fathomless ocean that buoys me upward.’
- ‘His greatest weakness may well be his seemingly fathomless personal vanity.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.