Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Unable to be measured or understood; extremely deep.‘staring into a pair of cold, fathomless grey eyes’‘the fathomless depths of the novel’
enigmatic, mysterious, impenetrable, incomprehensible, unfathomable, opaque, profound, deepbottomless, unfathomable, unfathomed, unsounded, immeasurable, endless, infinite, measurelessView synonyms
- ‘It's an image of fathomless, shocking power, like lifting a trap door and glimpsing something beautiful and noisome, fascinating and unknowable.’
- ‘His greatest weakness may well be his seemingly fathomless personal vanity.’
- ‘Her faith in my indestructibility is a fathomless ocean that buoys me upward.’
- ‘What an infinitesimal fraction of time's fathomless abyss is assigned to each of us!’
- ‘Unable to contemplate the truth of what we do, we extract from our fathomless collective guilt a story of primordial innocence.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.