One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Unable to be measured or understood; extremely deep.‘staring into a pair of cold, fathomless grey eyes’‘the fathomless depths of the novel’
enigmatic, mysterious, impenetrable, incomprehensible, unfathomable, opaque, profound, deepbottomless, unfathomable, unfathomed, unsounded, immeasurable, endless, infinite, measurelessView synonyms
- ‘Unable to contemplate the truth of what we do, we extract from our fathomless collective guilt a story of primordial innocence.’
- ‘It's an image of fathomless, shocking power, like lifting a trap door and glimpsing something beautiful and noisome, fascinating and unknowable.’
- ‘Her faith in my indestructibility is a fathomless ocean that buoys me upward.’
- ‘His greatest weakness may well be his seemingly fathomless personal vanity.’
- ‘What an infinitesimal fraction of time's fathomless abyss is assigned to each of us!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.