Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of a number of small white structures in the body of an animal, especially an insect, which act as a store of fats and glycogen.
- ‘They show disintegration of the fat body and most third instar larvae develop melanotic tumors.’
- ‘These peptides are released from the fat body cells into the hemolymph where they lyse invading microbial cells.’
- ‘This may result from the dynamic equilibrium maintained between trehalase and glycogen in the insect fat body.’
- ‘Insects, in general, have the metabolic capacity to convert dietary carbohydrates to lipids and to store lipids within the fat body.’
- ‘Butterflies store fat in extensive abdominal fat bodies similarly to odonates and are known to use lipids as a fuel for extended flight.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.