One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A nuclear reactor in which fission is caused mainly by fast neutrons.
- ‘In fact it is proposed to turn it into more fuel which could power fast reactors for 1000 years.’
- ‘The waste consists of 44 tonnes of ‘breeder’ fuel that was wrapped around the core of the Dounreay fast reactor, a prototype which was shut down in 1977.’
- ‘An experimental fast reactor, built at Dounreay in the north of Scotland, began operation in 1959, and paved the way for the first fast-breeder reactor power station.’
- ‘For such a leap, the country needs ‘accelerated systems’ or fast reactors which utilise thorium.’
- ‘But after the reactor was abandoned, it was shipped to Dounreay in the early 1990s to burn in the British prototype fast reactor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.