One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Ice that covers seawater but is attached to land.
- ‘On either side of the ship is fast ice, as thick and hard as concrete.’
- ‘No study has ever documented the full annual cycle for these all these processes, though near-shore, fast ice sites have been studied for some components over shorter periods.’
- ‘There are two kinds of sea ice in Antarctica: fast ice and pack ice.’
- ‘The delineation between fast ice and pack ice was indicated by a variety of features.’
- ‘These results are significantly different from those observed for the Gulf of Boothia (31% coverage by fast ice and 35% by vast floes).’
- ‘Both of the icebergs are large enough to have upset the currents and winds of the Ross Sea, disrupting the movement of pack ice and the formation of fast ice, according to the U.S. National Ice Center.’
- ‘In the eastern Beaufort Sea and the Canadian Arctic, fast ice is more extensive, and this stable habitat extends over deeper water because it is protected on all sides by land.’
- ‘In contrast, density estimates for fast ice in 1997 and 1999 were 20% to 60% higher than estimates for the previous years.’
- ‘In two years, observed densities on pack ice were much greater than those on fast ice; in the other two years, the densities on pack ice and fast ice were similar.’
- ‘We arrived at Maxwell Bay to find about 200 meters of fast ice along the shore.’
- ‘Floe sizes reported on the ice charts consisted of small, medium, big, giant, vast, and fast ice floes.’
- ‘Furthermore, during winter and spring, ringed seals are associated with their breeding holes in the fast ice and subnivean lairs, which in itself may reduce their horizontal mobility.’
- ‘More than 75% of the M'Clintock Channel area contained fast ice and an additional 16% of the area contained vast floes, while the mean proportions of the two floe sizes were more similar for the Gulf of Boothia.’
- ‘Juveniles begin to disperse away from their natal colonies as the fast ice breaks up in early summer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.