Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An event at which collections of newly designed clothing are modelled for an audience.‘the front row seats at a Calvin Klein fashion show’
- ‘Raven sees a vision of herself winning a fashion show, but she will have to battle a magazine editor who doesn't want to see anyone but stick-thin models on stage in order to make her dream come true.’
- ‘The fashion show was great fun, and it was wonderful to see models - plucked straight from a lecture theatre near you - of all shapes and sizes wearing clothes that suited them well and looking beautiful.’
- ‘There also will be a fashion show on the second day of the event highlighting Peruvian products.’
- ‘The fashion show highlighted new spring and summer leg wear fashions, including "no-show socks," which are designed to provide a bare leg look.’
- ‘The New York Philharmonic commissioned Gould's Philharmonic Waltzes in 1947 as an accompaniment to a fashion show, believe it or not - a fund-raising benefit for the orchestra.’
- ‘Her spring 2000 fashion show had New York fashion writers gushing over her unclouded vision and comparing her to Vivienne Westwood.’
- ‘Garments designed on the system, including pieces from Versace Sport, Krizia Jeans, Intimissimi and Gabriele Strehle Jeans, to name a few, were featured in an on-site fashion show.’
- ‘With only six weeks to the big fashion show in Milan, he needs to make a new range of exotic footwear, rescue his relationship and get Lola accepted in the shoe factory if he's to save the jobs of his workers and the future of the family company.’
- ‘There will also be a fashion show, where models will strut down the catwalk sporting wireless technology outfits.’
- ‘To celebrate its 20-year milestone, the gallery transformed again, this time into a Studio 54-inspired disco club complete with Andy Warhol look-alike waiters and a fashion show.’
- ‘A scene depicting Slava's geeky attempt at modelling in a fashion show is hilarious.’
- ‘During a fashion show, photographers are clustered on tiers beside the door facing the models as they emerge at the far end.’
- ‘People also rent the space for everything from fashion shows to fund-raisers.’
- ‘This practice helped me in my business because I was able to remember details of 100 garments I would see in a New York or Paris fashion show.’
- ‘The fashion show displayed some of the latest fashion from some of Wellington's top female designers.’
- ‘The bulk of her assignments were fashion shows in high-end department stores, though she also did print modeling and trade shows.’
- ‘It is noticeable that several rap artists - a significant number of them female - have been known to wear the products of famous clothing designers while others have appeared at their fashion shows as spectators or, in several cases, as participants and models.’
- ‘Indian designers recently organised a fashion show in Hong Kong as part of a sales promotion.’
- ‘Victoria's Secret - the saucy but classy US lingerie maker - will be having a fun-filled fashion show in Cannes tomorrow.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.