One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of hulled wheat, especially spelt or emmer, typically used in salads, soups, and side dishes.‘we had a warm salad of farro, butternut squash, and goat's cheese’
- ‘In reality, farro requires no soaking and cooks to tenderness as quickly as rice.’
- ‘Divide farro among four plates, top each portion with one quail breast and spoon sauce over each portion.’
- ‘Cooked with sausage, then mixed with diced apples for a sweet crunch, farro makes a savory side dish for roast chicken.’
- ‘Roasted fennel and orange give seared duck breast a pleasing, almost Asian, aspect, the citrusy sauce soaked up by earthy farro.’
- ‘The aroma of the funghi and a rich creamy sauce melded together with the wholesome little farro grains resulting a slightly heavy, but infuriatingly delicious plateful of food.’
- ‘My experience in cooking farro contradicts the instructions I've come across.’
- ‘The best seafood dish was the fish of the day, roasted, with lemon and oregano; the best poultry item were two quail, grilled to juicy pinkness inside, rolled in Casella's impressive herb stash, and served on a mushroom farro cake.’
- ‘And the terms "spelt" and "farro" often are used interchangeably, leading to consumer confusion - so buyer beware.’
- ‘Bring to a boil, cover, reduce to a simmer and cook until farro is soft, about 15 minutes.’
- ‘Because they are difficult to grow, farro and spelt fell into disfavor as farmers turned to raising the more profitable and high-yielding commercial wheat variety (Triticum aestivum).’
- ‘Actually, I was supposed to use farro, but could absolutely not find it.’
- ‘I posted about this recipe, but at that time, I didn't have farro so I substituted bulgur, per the recipe's suggestions.’
- ‘Warm farro is tinged an unlikely pink from baby beets sautéed with Brussels sprouts and turnips.’
- ‘Saute onions until translucent and stir in farro.’
Late 18th century: Italian, from Latin, ‘wheat’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.