One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A smith who shoes horses.
- ‘There were three farriers in action, shoeing horses and making the horseshoes, much to the fascination of onlookers.’
- ‘With the knowledge and skill of many farriers today, they are very capable.’
- ‘He also held a trainer's license in California, Louisiana, New Mexico, and Texas, and was licensed as a farrier in both Oklahoma and Texas.’
- ‘There has been a shortage of farriers to shoe the thousands of both thoroughbred and sport horses in the country.’
- ‘Ireland has produced more than its share of quality horses, breeders, trainers, grooms, farriers, jockeys, head lads and punters.’
- ‘He is a lovely little horse who's improved a lot, and full marks to the farrier for doing such a fine job.’
- ‘This would inevitably lead to loss of income or worse for vets, farriers, kennels, saddle-makers, etc, etc.’
- ‘Those horses that have laminitis will frequently have subsolar abscesses and require attention from your farrier and/or veterinarian.’
- ‘The case also addresses whether compensation should be paid to those who suffer as a result of the ban, such as farriers, saddlers and feed merchants.’
- ‘You must find a good farrier that is willing to work with a performance horse and keep those hooves in good shape.’
- ‘Then too, teamsters, stable boys, and farriers were all needed to tend the horses.’
- ‘There are farriers in the country who rely solely on shoeing hunt horses in the winter months to see them through the summer.’
- ‘He worked as a farrier, shoeing horses at the Middleburg training track and the surrounding area.’
- ‘It's already happening: vets, farriers, nutritionists and saddlers are working together and the benefits of complementary techniques that are backed up by science are being recognised.’
- ‘He is a veterinary surgeon, a farrier and horsebreaker.’
- ‘If 17 jockeys, trainers, farriers, yes, farriers, and hangers on, have been caught in the UK, how many have not been caught?’
- ‘Nailing the shoe onto the horse is among the farrier's most crucial jobs.’
- ‘It depicts a scene of purposeful activity - farriers shoeing; grooms tending huge chargers; a vet and orderly serjeant inspecting; men sweeping; cavalrymen feeding horses.’
- ‘He also maintains a list of holistic vets and approved therapists, remedial farriers and saddlers.’
- ‘You may want to check with your farrier or vet to see if your horse needs biotin.’
Mid 16th century: from Old French ferrier, from Latin ferrarius, from ferrum ‘iron, horseshoe’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.