Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Land used for farming.
smallholding, holding, farmstead, steading, grange, plantation, estateView synonyms
- ‘The people, farmlands, and farming practices of Asia come to life in this varied collection.’
- ‘Already the lowland coconut plantation farmlands of Tuvalu are being swamped by the rising sea.’
- ‘Eighty per cent of the land in the village is farmland, so harvest time affects everyone here.’
- ‘The land surrounding this section is farmland and small plots of vegetable gardens.’
- ‘These features may also have contributed to the poor agricultural yield in the farmlands adjoining the factory.’
- ‘I am further annoyed that yet another piece of open land has been fenced in and turned into farmland.’
- ‘It was lucky to have lots of natural resources such as iron ore, coal, and oil and farmlands ideal for growing crops.’
- ‘In order to enlarge the prison's farmlands, 114 acres of additional land was purchased from Bunn in 1883.’
- ‘The land includes the canal and surrounding farmland but not the factory site itself, the sports field or the slag bank.’
- ‘Thanks to improvements in productivity, less and less land is required as farmland.’
- ‘Rolling farmlands, covered bridges, and vineyards mark the countryside.’
- ‘This part of Georgia is mostly pastures and farmland with small rolling hills.’
- ‘That has made mainstream use on America's irrigated farmlands a reality.’
- ‘The village has not yet been submerged and they are still there living off their six acres of farmland.’
- ‘The next house must be well away from any kind of arable farmland.’
- ‘Much of the proposed zoned land is backing onto existing gardens and farmland.’
- ‘It has yet to agree on a land premium for changing the site's usage from farmland to residential.’
- ‘He has also offered to turn over 800 acres of his farmland to provide an east coast sanctuary for wildlife and fauna.’
- ‘The deli, which is set in 25 acres of farmland, also puts on a monthly class.’
- ‘It is a small homestead in the middle of farmlands and shrub jungle.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.