Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The activity or business of growing crops and raising livestock.‘land was enclosed for arable farming’with modifier ‘sheep farming’
agriculture, cultivation, tilling, tillage, husbandry, land management, farm managementView synonyms
- ‘A key requirement in today's farm supply business is to keep an eye on farming trends.’
- ‘Reg worked with his private trucking business, enjoyed farming, raising cattle and working in the woods.’
- ‘The level areas of Lincolnshire are good arable farming country, famous for such crops as potatoes.’
- ‘Will the grower lose all expenses and other tax deductions relating to his or her small business or farming enterprise?’
- ‘Are there any resemblances in live stock breeding and farming practices applied in present Bulgaria's agriculture and the EU member states?’
- ‘Shortly after this time, they begin performing herding or farming activities, sometimes on their own.’
- ‘Get to know other farmers in your area that are doing similar farming and business.’
- ‘In addition to farming and livestock raising, the women at the VVF Centre have also acquired skills in making soap and petroleum jelly.’
- ‘Developing a business prospectus for your farming operation is one of the best first steps to take.’
- ‘During the 14th and 15th centuries, rabbit farming was extended into marginal areas as arable farming receded.’
- ‘There have been many major advances in the science, technical and business side of farming and agriculture over the past number of years.’
- ‘Livestock production and crop farming were their major source of income.’
- ‘The announcement will give farmers greater flexibility on moving stock, restocking and other day-to-day farming activities.’
- ‘In the end, the pressures of horticultural crop and field crop farming are more similar than they are different.’
- ‘Leave it to others to compete and let farmers go back to their traditional activity of farming, he advised.’
- ‘Pork producers valued the challenge to be the best they can be, and depicted farming as a rewarding business that provided a good living.’
- ‘The main agriculture is sheep farming which is managed on an extensive rangeland system, leaving only a few areas on the larger islands free from grazing pressure.’
- ‘In agriculture, for example, there are fewer, larger farming operations.’
- ‘But we also do agriculture and organic farming, we teach permaculture.’
- ‘It is sometimes suggested that the key feature of agricultural intensification was a switch from pastoral to arable farming.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.