One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(among Thais) a European or other foreigner.
- ‘I hope you farangs understand that there are many ladies who have a heart, and sometimes a real broken heart, just like the ladies in your own country.’
- ‘The caddies were quite surprised to see him disrobe, as he was already soaked to the skin, but assumed it was just another idiosyncrasy of the farangs.’
- ‘The continual whining of this small group about such a minor matter and such a small amount of money is embarrassing to the vast majority of farangs.’
- ‘Patrick has also come to look on Thailand as ‘home’ and is one of the few farangs who can sing the Thai National Anthem.’
- ‘The government stopped it, because they know farangs come back anyway, because farangs are already addicted to the Thai women.’
- ‘The most common disaster afflicting farangs here is a road accident, most often involving the ubiquitous motorbike.’
- ‘Dual pricing is patronising and an insult to both decent Thai folk and farangs alike, and to claim any thing other is quite simply ludicrous.’
- ‘This became something of a serious competition not only for the young men but also many farangs, male and female, not wishing to be out-done.’
- ‘The allowance of farangs, or foreigners, into Bangkok for trade was an impetus for the construction of new buildings and roads.’
- ‘Both farangs were then arrested after failing to agree which one of them should pay 9,000 baht for damage to a grandfather clock and a bar mirror.’
- ‘Some local farangs are buying DVD recorders only to discover that they won't accept discs manufactured outside of Asia.’
- ‘I admire your patience with all the farangs who want to change Thai culture, Thai tolerance, and even Thai government.’
- ‘Being the only two farangs there, we were totally conspicuous every time we fell asleep on our knees or did something yet again more unacceptable.’
- ‘Why then was the play totally directed against farangs?’
- ‘In this country Thais outnumber farangs hundreds to one.’
- ‘For several years I myself have fumed at the illogical regulation which sends farangs out of the country to obtain re-entry visas.’
- ‘Rather than putting signs up specifically for farangs who make mistaken assumption, the farang should obey the traffic laws as they stand.’
- ‘The truth is, unless you are criminally inclined or grossly unlucky, you have far more to fear from other farangs than from the natives.’
- ‘The farang then left for Europe, but did receive an e-mail three months later.’
- ‘Police sources say that there are a growing number of forged driving licenses circulating in Pattaya, some in the possession of farangs.’
Thai, from frank.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.