One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Tending to the opposite of what is expected.‘conditions were far from satisfactory’
not, not at all, nowhere near, a long way from, the opposite ofView synonyms
- ‘I'd love to tell you all about it in fine detail but one-handed typing is far from fun.’
- ‘Players are so in fear of stepping out of line off the pitch they are far from relaxed by the time they step onto it.’
- ‘To say that at most one person may have taken part in a more formal protest on a Saturday is far from the truth.’
- ‘However, the chances are something would get you in the end and it would be a far from peaceful way to go.’
- ‘While this is a far from perfect democratic election, the genie may well be out of the bottle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.