One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
By a very large amount.‘he is far and away the most accomplished player’
by far, by a great amount, by a good deal, by a long chalk, by a long shot, by a long way, by a mileby a great amount, by a good deal, by a long chalk, by a long shot, by a long way, by a mileView synonyms
- ‘I'd been hoping for this, I love Les Mis, it's far and away my favourite musical.’
- ‘In the use of the nutrients that feed our crops, China is now far and away the world leader.’
- ‘Disturbing and humane, they are far and away the best in the exhibition.’
- ‘By far and away the most wondrous aspect of PVA is its characteristic of turning to hard solid plastic once dry.’
- ‘I submitted a photography assignment on Monday that was far and away my best yet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.