One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
By a very large amount.‘he is far and away the most accomplished player’
by far, by a great amount, by a good deal, by a long chalk, by a long shot, by a long way, by a mileby a great amount, by a good deal, by a long chalk, by a long shot, by a long way, by a mileView synonyms
- ‘I'd been hoping for this, I love Les Mis, it's far and away my favourite musical.’
- ‘Disturbing and humane, they are far and away the best in the exhibition.’
- ‘I submitted a photography assignment on Monday that was far and away my best yet.’
- ‘By far and away the most wondrous aspect of PVA is its characteristic of turning to hard solid plastic once dry.’
- ‘In the use of the nutrients that feed our crops, China is now far and away the world leader.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.