One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small semicircular or rectangular window over a door or another window.
- ‘The four corners of the facades are accented with tall wooden pilasters, and the two identical front doors with semicircular fanlights are framed by pilasters supporting molded cornices.’
- ‘A flight of granite steps leads to a front door with a fanlight.’
- ‘Manda could see a semicircular fanlight over the front door as the Michael steered the jeep toward the front of wrought iron gate.’
- ‘The principal doorways of both buildings are framed by pilasters and display graceful semicircular fanlights crowned with open pediments.’
- ‘The front door has a fanlight while the hall has an ornate centre rose and coving.’
- 1.1another term for skylight
- ‘The conservatory features extra height fanlights with single Georgian bar.’
- ‘The only way that he have escaped was by climbing hand over hand, up the girders that run up the side of the jail, to a fanlight on the roof.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.