One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A woman's lover.‘it's not right she should be flouncing around with her fancy man’
boyfriend, girlfriend, man friend, woman friend, lady friend, lady-love, beau, loved one, beloved, love, darling, sweetheartView synonyms
- ‘‘And to cap it all, Ephesia has got herself a fancy man,’ he might have added.’
- ‘In the seven part series - already being hailed a hit - Rebecca's 16-year-old character makes moves on her mother's alcoholic fancy man Frank, causing all sorts of trouble.’
- ‘She only told Arthur, but didn't twig that her new fancy man is a journalist.’
- ‘She also spent a lot of my money last summer riding around with her fancy-man.’
- ‘And then his mother had run off with her 'fancy man', so Gran said.’
- 1.1archaic A pimp.
procurer, procuressView synonyms
- ‘She falls for the guy who everyone knows is a fancy man, and now she's all upset.’
- ‘A prostitute attempts to make him her "fancy man." Finally he becomes a rich girl's "companion."’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.