One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An unusual or amusing costume worn to a social event to make someone look like, for example, a famous person or well-known fictional character.‘schoolchildren were in the procession in fancy dress’as modifier ‘a fancy dress competition’
disguise, veil, false face, domino, stocking maskView synonyms
- ‘The costume party is formatted as a multi-venue themed fancy-dress art party and is attended by 8000 thousand partygoers - who arrive in teams in matching costumes - somehow related to the theme.’
- ‘Don't bother hiring an expensive fancy-dress costume.’
- ‘Following this is a fancy-dress competition, in which everyone in a Von Trapp costume will be invited on stage.’
- ‘Then of course there is the famous fancy-dress competition in which everyone who has arrived in costume is invited onto the stage to show off.’
- ‘They talk of going to future fancy-dress parties and of the costumes worn there.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.