One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An unusual or amusing costume worn to a social event to make someone look like, for example, a famous person or well-known fictional character.‘schoolchildren were in the procession in fancy dress’as modifier ‘a fancy dress competition’
disguise, veil, false face, domino, stocking maskView synonyms
- ‘They talk of going to future fancy-dress parties and of the costumes worn there.’
- ‘The costume party is formatted as a multi-venue themed fancy-dress art party and is attended by 8000 thousand partygoers - who arrive in teams in matching costumes - somehow related to the theme.’
- ‘Don't bother hiring an expensive fancy-dress costume.’
- ‘Following this is a fancy-dress competition, in which everyone in a Von Trapp costume will be invited on stage.’
- ‘Then of course there is the famous fancy-dress competition in which everyone who has arrived in costume is invited onto the stage to show off.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.