One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
with modifier A connoisseur or enthusiast of something, especially someone who has a special interest in or breeds a particular animal.‘a pigeon fancier’
enthusiast, devotee, hobbyist, lover, addict, fan, fanaticView synonyms
- ‘The Bird Watching Team and parrot fanciers around the country are very excited.’
- ‘Post-war concerns about breed purity became academic as cat fanciers scrambled to make whatever judicious compromises they could in order to insure the survival of their chosen breeds.’
- ‘Throughout the late 1800s, English dog fanciers became increasingly fascinated with breeds indigenous to the European continent.’
- ‘In a late '70s newsletter to prospective ocicat fanciers, Daly explained that one reason for the breed's spotty progress was a pet limitation ordinance passed by the town council where she lived.’
- ‘Now crossword fanciers know that there are words for things that crossword setters just always use.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.