Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The quality of being fanatical.‘the dangers of religious fanaticism’
zealotry, zeal, extremism, militancy, sectarianism, fundamentalism, bigotry, dogmatism, chauvinism, radicalism, immoderationobsessiveness, over-enthusiasm, addiction, fixation, madness, monomania, immoderation, passion, infatuationView synonyms
- ‘Still, fanaticism doesn't strike a chord with the majority of the region's Muslims.’
- ‘They are saying that many of us think that terrorism and religious fanaticism are part of the Islamic way of life.’
- ‘I think religious fanaticism is extremely unhealthy and it seems Mel Gibson is guilty of that.’
- ‘There seems to be a fanaticism on the part of those who legislate, for how come there is no variation of punishment?’
- ‘The prospects are for more destruction, fanaticism, violence and hatred.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.