Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Letters sent to a famous person from their fans.
- ‘He says most of his neighbours are behind him and he's received a large amount of fan mail from his demographically diverse patrons.’
- ‘On the other extreme, I also began to receive marriage proposals and correspondence that could be described as fan mail.’
- ‘During the last 12 years of her life, Mae West spent mornings answering fan mail and afternoons trying on hats.’
- ‘Which Hollywood star has received the most fan mail?’
- ‘He is even considerate enough to take time from his day to answer fan mail personally rather than getting a secretary to do it for him.’
- ‘I am highly entertained by the fact that I get fan mail now, as a result of my blog writing.’
- ‘The horse even has his own website which attracts electronic fan mail from around the world.’
- ‘At the height of their fame they received almost as much fan mail as the Beatles!’
- ‘We've also received generous amounts of fan mail so we are getting our fair share of good press.’
- ‘I wrote them fan mail when I was a kid and invited them to my house for breakfast when they came through town on tour.’
- ‘One of the joys of being a public figure is getting fan mail.’
- ‘She gets fan mail from places as diverse as America, Iceland and India.’
- ‘She gets fan mail from abroad as well, and that's something about which she feels really good.’
- ‘Well-known for his suave good looks, Khalid soon attracted female fan mail.’
- ‘Just had my first piece of fan mail from someone who's read my entire blog in one sitting over 6 hours.’
- ‘‘Darren gets sacks of fan mail from all over,’ said his father.’
- ‘Archer received 2,000 Christmas cards himself, and bags of fan mail are still delivered to him each week.’
- ‘When you get your fan mail, how do you guys decide what you're going to be responding to?’
- ‘Nora's quirky radio talk show launched barely two weeks ago, but already it is attracting fan mail from Alaska to Singapore.’
- ‘They're going to erase all of the email I've gotten in the past two years, which means probably about 1000 pieces of fan mail alone.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.