Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An electric heater in which a fan drives air over a hot element and back into the room.
- ‘And so we stood, cold to the bone, miserable and huddled in turn around a small fan heater.’
- ‘My flatmates and I attempted to create a celebratory atmosphere by plugging in a solitary fan heater and chipping ice off the insides of the windows.’
- ‘By the time we got back to our cars, we were all drenched from head to toe and ready to get in a nice in front of the fan heater.’
- ‘I dread to think what our electricity bill for the last week will be, as we've been heating the house with electric fan heaters…’
- ‘She added customers were now buying fan heaters if they had a cold setting.’
- ‘The lighting failed today as a result of us bringing too many fan heaters into the school to keep it warm.’
- ‘Mr Gerrard said he and his wife arrived at the hospital after midnight to find the waiting room heated by a single fan heater situated over the door.’
- ‘There's also a 2KW fan heater to help boost the air temperature.’
- ‘Julie said: ‘When I found out that mum and dad had been left there with just a fan heater to keep them warm in the middle of January, I phoned the emergency number at the housing department straight away.’’
- ‘Friends have brought us round electric fan heaters, which will make my bills sky high.’
- ‘That was the year I had to run out and buy eight fan heaters to stop people fainting in our office.’
- ‘Visit your local garden centre and enquire about a small thermostatically controlled greenhouse fan heater.’
- ‘I retire inside, to the warmth of a roaring fan heater.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.