One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in a motor-vehicle engine) a belt that transmits motion from the driveshaft to the radiator fan and the dynamo or alternator.
band, loop, hoop, thongView synonyms
- ‘It turned out the fan belt which drives the air conditioner had broken and the vehicle was later replaced.’
- ‘When it gets severe we'd expect it to be accompanied by sporadic squealing of the type you get when a fan belt slips.’
- ‘One of the important parts of each and every Mazda is the drive belt, or more commonly known as the fan belt.’
- ‘If the water pump cannot turn, something might be wrong with the fan belt.’
- ‘We thought it was the drive pulley for the water pump, which meant it would be a bit of a task to fix, and as an engine without a fan belt means no power-steering, no battery charging, no water pumping, etc.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.