Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in a motor-vehicle engine) a belt that transmits motion from the driveshaft to the radiator fan and the dynamo or alternator.
band, loop, hoop, thongView synonyms
- ‘One of the important parts of each and every Mazda is the drive belt, or more commonly known as the fan belt.’
- ‘It turned out the fan belt which drives the air conditioner had broken and the vehicle was later replaced.’
- ‘If the water pump cannot turn, something might be wrong with the fan belt.’
- ‘When it gets severe we'd expect it to be accompanied by sporadic squealing of the type you get when a fan belt slips.’
- ‘We thought it was the drive pulley for the water pump, which meant it would be a bit of a task to fix, and as an engine without a fan belt means no power-steering, no battery charging, no water pumping, etc.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.