One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in a motor-vehicle engine) a belt that transmits motion from the driveshaft to the radiator fan and the dynamo or alternator.
band, loop, hoop, thongView synonyms
- ‘We thought it was the drive pulley for the water pump, which meant it would be a bit of a task to fix, and as an engine without a fan belt means no power-steering, no battery charging, no water pumping, etc.’
- ‘If the water pump cannot turn, something might be wrong with the fan belt.’
- ‘It turned out the fan belt which drives the air conditioner had broken and the vehicle was later replaced.’
- ‘When it gets severe we'd expect it to be accompanied by sporadic squealing of the type you get when a fan belt slips.’
- ‘One of the important parts of each and every Mazda is the drive belt, or more commonly known as the fan belt.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.