Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A diagram showing the relationship between people in several generations of a family.
ancestry, genealogy, descent, lineage, line, line of descent, bloodline, blood, parentage, pedigree, background, extraction, derivation, race, strain, stock, breedView synonyms
- ‘Part of the exhibition incorporates a high tech family tree where people can key in the name of the person they are interested in and see them appear before them on screen.’
- ‘But amongst the books were also handwritten journals, and she even found a delicately drawn out family tree.’
- ‘Family history and family trees are important because they tell us where we have come from, the point of growth that we have reached, and with whom we connected.’
- ‘There is also a detailed chronology, family trees, maps and a list of contents.’
- ‘With a white chalky stone, the guide was kneeling on the kasbah roof, trying to draw the El Glaoui family tree on the dun-coloured surface.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.