Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The practice of controlling the number of children one has and the intervals between their births, particularly by means of contraception or voluntary sterilization.[as modifier] ‘family-planning clinics’
- ‘In India, where family-planning efforts have been less aggressive, the population is growing much faster.’
- ‘Some village women are trained in midwifery and community-based family-planning services.’
- ‘In 1921 Stopes founded the Society for Constructive Birth Control which led the way for the later family-planning clinics.’
- ‘All of the BYPC workers are entitled to free medical care, including routine health examinations, family-planning counseling, prenatal care, delivery care, and neonatal care.’
- ‘These workers, more than others, may require access to a family-planning clinic, contraceptive and sexual health services, emergency contraception, or pregnancy testing and counselling.’
- 1.1Contraception.‘the morning-after pill should never be used as a regular method of family planning’
- ‘Is it because they are ignorant about family planning methods or is it because they choose to have many kids?’
- ‘Nevertheless, today abortion is an essential method of family planning and should be accepted it as such.’
- ‘In Muslim countries like Turkey and Indonesia, family planning methods are quite popular.’
- ‘However, scholars unanimously agree that any permanent method of family planning, or even abortion, can be done if the life of the mother is in danger.’
- ‘It outlines options for beginning a family planning method following the use of emergency contraception.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.