One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A business that is owned or run by members of a single family.‘he took over the family business after his father's death’
- ‘He may simply have helped his father with the family business.’
- ‘In the 1930s August was joined in the family firm by his sons Erich and Helmut.’
- ‘Most heads of family businesses know the possible pitfalls ahead but few act in anticipation.’
- ‘The question now is whether Bill has the abilities needed to save the family firm.’
- ‘Neither of us were ever pressured to join the family business.’
- ‘In fact, the only son interested in taking part in the family business is 14-year-old Alain.’
- ‘The members of many family businesses would get along much better if they had a written lease.’
- ‘In 1844, on his father's death, he left to run the family business but returned to his studies in 1846.’
- ‘John Chester offers advice to other family business owners.’
- ‘Oncken died in 1988, but his son Bill has carried on the family business.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.