One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A business that is owned or run by members of a single family.‘he took over the family business after his father's death’
- ‘He may simply have helped his father with the family business.’
- ‘Neither of us were ever pressured to join the family business.’
- ‘The members of many family businesses would get along much better if they had a written lease.’
- ‘Most heads of family businesses know the possible pitfalls ahead but few act in anticipation.’
- ‘John Chester offers advice to other family business owners.’
- ‘In the 1930s August was joined in the family firm by his sons Erich and Helmut.’
- ‘Oncken died in 1988, but his son Bill has carried on the family business.’
- ‘In fact, the only son interested in taking part in the family business is 14-year-old Alain.’
- ‘The question now is whether Bill has the abilities needed to save the family firm.’
- ‘In 1844, on his father's death, he left to run the family business but returned to his studies in 1846.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.