Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bible designed to be used at family prayers, typically one with space on its flyleaves for recording important family events.
- ‘Important occasions like births, baptisms, confirmations, marriages and deaths were carefully recorded in their big black family bibles.’
- ‘He also looks at the genealogy in the family bible that shows his parents crossed out.’
- ‘A magnificent Stevenson family bible holds ancient birth certificates - and weighs a ton when you pick it up.’
- ‘On a shelf in his study stands a great, leather-bound family bible.’
- ‘After Tom's death, his name is written inside the cover of the family bible where dates of birth, marriage, and death are all recorded.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.