Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A slip or stumble.‘one false step and we would have fallen in the sea’
- ‘But here's a play that gets Jaworski's attention, when Palmer takes a false step with his left foot at the start of his dropback.’
- ‘Back to the cliffs, where the geological verticality is a 300-foot issue, and where in places two false steps would have you plummeting to the rocks.’
- ‘Adriana's heart carried her forward, under rock ledges where a false step would have thrown her a hundred feet into a nest of shale.’
- ‘All it takes is a false step, a bump, a push or even a momentary lapse of common sense to fall from safety and into the dark dangerous depths below.’
- ‘Clements helped Stewart eliminate a false step he was taking with his left foot in his dropback that caused him to be late with some of his passes.’
- 1.1A careless or unwise act; a mistake.‘she made her first false step when she agreed to come back’
- ‘So much of the film's success lies on the shoulders of the two leads, and they never make a false step in their characterizations.’
- ‘Lord Justice Judge agreed and said: ‘The court was extremely critical of a whole series of false steps leading to conclusions of a statistical kind that were misleading.’’
- ‘One false step and you've lost a viewer, or a million of them.’
- ‘The nature of professional publication is such that it is rare to find an article by a senior clinician about a personal voyage of intellectual discovery that includes the stumbling and false steps along the way.’
- ‘A false step along the way - including delay for any number of reasons, known and unknown - could well be fatal.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.