One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A warning given about something that fails to happen.‘the fire bells were a false alarm’
- ‘It is difficult to see what good could come from three million passengers being on the alert - false alarms and a general climate of paranoia are likely to be the main results.’
- ‘He said emergency operators were able to weed out a large number of hoax calls and false alarms.’
- ‘There always has to be a delicate balance between these opposing needs, to catch all the cancers while protecting women without cancer from false alarms and unnecessary invasive procedures.’
- ‘There have been a series of false alarms about the disease in Britain since the massive outbreak last year that effectively shut down the countryside and resulted in the slaughter of millions of cattle, pigs and sheep.’
- ‘Society reacts to police tragedy with tears of remorse, yet can't seem to understand why police are so aggressive in situations that turn out to be false alarms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.