One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- archaic term for epilepsy
- ‘Because of this health department notice, TV stations will have to suspend medical treatment adverts for certain illnesses such as venereal diseases, psoriasis, HIV / AIDS, cancer, falling sickness and vertigo.’
- ‘The powerful shall rise and the cowards would shrivel at the falling sickness.’
- ‘The Chinese translation of epilepsy is Dian, meaning falling sickness, and epileptic attack is Xian, meaning convulsion.’
- ‘A Sumerian term referring to descriptions of seizures has been translated as ‘The Falling Sickness’.’
- ‘Epilepsy, ‘the falling sickness,’ was one of the most feared and least well understood problems in early New England, as it was throughout the world.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.