Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Christian, Jewish, and Muslim tradition) an angel who rebelled against God and was cast out of heaven.‘the fallen angel Lucifer’figurative ‘a book about anti-heroes, fallen angels, and faded stars’
devil, fiend, evil spirit, fallen angel, cacodemonView synonyms
- ‘At the outset of Paradise Lost, Satan rallies his fellow fallen angels with a speech of exculpation.’
- ‘While Jesus has already defeated Satan and his fallen angels, they are still free to tempt and test us until Jesus comes again in glory.’
- ‘God expected human beings to live in obedience to God's commands, give God due honor, and fill up those places in God's kingdom that had been left vacant by the fallen angels.’
- ‘The other assumption is that there exist humanly free creatures other than men, which we may call fallen angels, who have chosen to do evil, and have brought about the passive evils not brought about by men.’
- ‘If Satan is a fallen angel, why was he allowed to continue living, and rather not destroyed as were later people who deliberately rebelled against the Almighty God?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.