One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A scapegoat.‘he contends that he is innocent, that he was set up as a fall guy’
dupe, easy target, easy prey, fair game, sitting target, everybody's fool, stooge, gull, fool, aunt sallyView synonyms
- ‘And then they picked this one auditor who could be their fall guy.’
- ‘Whether or not the person who actually takes the blame is the real culprit or a fall guy, we may never know.’
- ‘She's obviously being set up to be the fall guy and she's it.’
- ‘An Iranian Intelligence Ministry agent faces a charge of ‘quasi-intentional murder,’ but many believe he's being made a fall guy.’
- ‘The veteran strategist is rapidly emerging as the fall guy for the Kerry campaign's lacklustre August.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.