One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fail completely to produce the intended or expected effect.‘his jokes fell flat’
fail, be unsuccessful, not succeed, lack success, fall through, break down, abort, miscarry, be defeated, suffer defeat, be in vain, be frustrated, collapse, founder, misfire, backfire, not come up to scratch, meet with disaster, come to grief, come to nothing, come to naught, miss the mark, run aground, go astrayView synonyms
- ‘The story is ridiculous, the characters are clichéd and stereotyped, and all the jokes fall flat.’
- ‘Admittedly, most of the cast lack the comic timing to make all the jokes fly, but for every joke that does fall flat there are at least two more that work.’
- ‘Some of the jokes fall flat, and I'm not sure how I feel about the tone of the ending.’
- ‘He perfected an air of modesty and if his jokes fell flat he had a comical line in self-deprecation.’
- ‘I considered cheering her up with maybe a joke or something, but my jokes always fall flat.’
- ‘Some of the dialogue falls flat with some forced jokes, but overall the writing is clever enough to propel the movie.’
- ‘However, the script fails him by falling flat in the moments where you expect the most to be delivered.’
- ‘I was afraid that all my jokes were falling flat.’
- ‘The eerie silence made him look, at moments, like a stand-up comic whose jokes were falling flat; but of course this was no laughing matter.’
- ‘He bantered amiably with the crowd, though some of his jokes fell flat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.