One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dish of Mexican origin consisting of strips of spiced beef or chicken, chopped vegetables, and grated cheese, wrapped in a soft tortilla and often served with sour cream.
- ‘In 1991 grocery shoppers were hard pressed to find Mexican fajitas, Italian ciabatta bread or passion fruits on the shelves of their local supermarket.’
- ‘It can also be used in various recipes like nachos, fajitas, quesadillas and fondues.’
- ‘If you are into Mexican food they serve menudo, fajitas, various types of tacos, enchiladas, carnitas, rice, beans and more.’
- ‘High-end meat dishes, such as steak fajitas, are often simply prepared and contain few unwanted ingredients.’
- ‘They also served a number of Mexican dishes like fajitas and enchiladas.’
- ‘As for more mainstream Mexican fare, the buffet has it all: tostadas, tacos, quesadillas, fajitas and a make-your-own burrito bar.’
- ‘They also have a bar area with stools, on which you can sit to eat some of the Colombian specialties that they make: fajitas, empanadas, tamales, and even a Colombian burger.’
- ‘On the menu, panini, fajitas and nachos sit alongside Thai fish cakes, sirloin steaks and daily specials using local, seasonal produce whenever possible.’
- ‘A dollop of sour cream makes a perfect garnish atop steaming tortilla soup or sizzling fajitas.’
- ‘So, if you feel a little peckish at the end of the night, you could splurge on their delicious chicken fajitas instead of the kebab that normally finishes a night's drinking.’
- ‘Other high points on the menu involve respectable fajitas made with Angus beef, and a wonderfully idiosyncratic fajita variant called the La Playa taco.’
- ‘Soft wheat tortillas are more often used in quesadillas and fajitas, while soft corn tortillas make wonderful enchiladas.’
- ‘Mexican fajitas, sweet-and-sour chicken, fish dishes and Ralph's speciality, home-made steak pie with onion sauce, all will feature on a colourful menu.’
- ‘Next up is a Mexican section preparing chicken, beef or pork fajitas, plus tostadas, Veracruz style fish, stuffed bell peppers and refried beans, with many Mexican sauces and condiments to go with them.’
- ‘Once we got to the beach, the rain tapered to a slight drizzle and we had our lunch of fajitas and quesadillas topped with fresh guacamole and a choice of mild or hot salsa.’
- ‘Aside from the usual array of burgers, ribs and chicken, there is also a fair selection of international dishes - fajitas, for example - and several mouth-watering specials to pick from on each visit.’
- ‘Aside from a most refreshing pineapple and mint juice drink, my experience of Mexican food was that tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, burritos, quesadillas and refried beans tasted better outside Mexico!’
- ‘In chapter after chapter he uncovers the stories and origins of the combination plates, the yellow cheese enchilada, fajitas, tamales, candies and slushy margaritas.’
- ‘The menu is not terribly adventurous - a mixture of ribs, burgers, nachos and fajitas - but then this is a place for comfort eating, not challenging cuisine.’
- ‘She explains the difference between chimichangas, burritos, tacos, tostadas, enchiladas and fajitas.’
Mexican Spanish, literally ‘little strips’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.