Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality of being faithful; fidelity.‘faithfulness in marriage’
fidelity, loyalty, constancy, devotion, trueness, true-heartedness, dedication, commitment, allegiance, adherenceaccuracy, precision, exactness, closeness, strictness, fairness, justness, factuality, truth, truthfulness, veracity, authenticity, reliability, dependabilityView synonyms
- ‘Marriage was to be lifelong and marital faithfulness was to include monogamy.’
- ‘Tosca is then forced to choose between her faithfulness or telling the truth about what she saw at the villa.’
- ‘Consistency and faithfulness in upholding the law, then, is the main thing that Papuans want from the government.’
- ‘Examples of the faithfulness and patience of good, loyal dogs are to be found throughout literature and the fine arts.’
- ‘The mandarin duck represented faithfulness, the magpie good luck.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.