Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A children's tale about magical and imaginary beings and lands.
fairy tale, folk tale, folk story, traditional story, myth, legend, romance, fantasy, fable, fictionlie, fib, falsehood, story, untruth, fabrication, fiction, piece of fictionView synonyms
- ‘And like the famous Rumpelstiltskin of the fairy story, he's going to stamp his feet in the ground one day, and just plain disappear - for his own good.’
- ‘But this adds one more delightful twist to the whole fairy story: what if Ranieri was right all along?’
- ‘She treats me like the rotten stepmother in a fairy story no matter what I say.’
- ‘As a fairy story, illustrated with children's book animation, it follows tradition - the nice magician and the (not too) nasty magician battle it out for the king and queen's favour.’
- ‘At Opera North in 1999, Francisco Negrin attempted to turn the opera into a fairy story, complete with Fiakermilli as Fairy God Mother.’
- ‘Portia raised her eyebrows, ‘What, do YOU think you live in a fairy story, Lily?’’
- ‘A simple fairy story well told, the movie is well observed, politically and cultural aware without ever risking pretension.’
- ‘Coelho's idea might be nice: a fairy story for adults about a simple shepherd boy who learns - from his travels through a fantasy land not far from the reality where we live - to be more in tune in with the world.’
- ‘Still, this is a fairy story so something magical is bound to occur.’
- ‘Whoever it was that decided to combine (mostly friendly) dinosaurs with a fairy story is a genius.’
- ‘This fine poem captures the core of our experience of death through striking images, which remain in the mind like a fairy story about evil remains with a child.’
- ‘It's not exactly the childhood fairy story most of us are familiar with.’
- ‘In the study of his north London house a cartoon hangs on the wall showing a mother and father reading a fairy story to their little girl.’
- ‘This year's Christmas production at the Wharf Theatre in Devizes is a musical version of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy story, The Ugly Duckling.’
- ‘Staging an intriguing version of the fairy story Sleeping Beauty with a vast cast of 90 young ballet dancers, aged between eight and 18 years, is an impressive task, writes Christine van Emst.’
- ‘Using the classic fairy story, director Noreen Kershaw and a supremely talented young cast have created a midwinter night's dream for all ages to savour.’
- ‘In 1897 he had completed an unconventional melodrama, Königskinder, to a fairy story by Elsa Bernstein.’
- ‘It is a delightful re-telling of the fairy story, The Princess and the Pea.’
- ‘It looks so much like a church from a fairy story that I had a hard time listening to the sermon.’
- ‘The whale, whether in the fairy story of Pinocchio, the Biblical story of Jonah, or the popular myth of Hiawatha is a monster that devours humans whole.’
- 1.1An untrue account.‘they deserve honest treatment, not fairy stories’
untruth, falsehood, fib, fabrication, deception, made-up story, trumped-up story, invention, piece of fiction, fiction, falsification, falsity, fairy tale, cock and bull story, barefaced lielie, white lie, fib, half-truth, untruth, falsity, falsehood, story, tall story, fairy tale, tall tale, made-up story, trumped-up story, fabrication, invention, piece of fiction, falsificationView synonyms
- ‘After contacting them, as they never do you, contrary to the agreement, you are treated to apologies and `fairy stories' that it will not happen again.’
- ‘Of course it does, and the 'fairy stories' turn into lies.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.