Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small transparent crustacean which typically swims on its back, using its legs to filter food particles from the water.
- ‘Biologists have discovered the vernal pool fairy shrimp, a small freshwater crustacean already listed as threatened, in some of the vernal pools that are home to the plants.’
- ‘Classified as phyllopods due to the leaf-like appearance of their legs, fairy shrimps ‘bloom’ in mineral-rich temporary ponds, reaching ridiculously dense concentrations.’
- ‘Below the surface, scuba divers haunt Sund Rock Marine Preserve and Octopus Hole, where the world's biggest octopuses share the water with fairy shrimp, shellfish, and Dungeness crab.’
- ‘One of the only two habitats for the fairy shrimp in Orange County is a vernal pool at Fairview park in Costa Mesa!’
- ‘Endemic to Southern California, the San Diego fairy shrimp, Branchinecta sandiegonensis, has suffered tremendous habitat loss due to urban development and consequently is on the Federal endangered species list.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.