Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Pleased or willing under the circumstances:‘the traveller was fain to proceed’
- ‘He held out his hand watching me, but I fain to think that I would still question myself, pulled away.’’
2Compelled by the circumstances; obliged:‘he was fain to acknowledge that the agreement was sacrosanct’
- ‘If you would grant but my request, I then most surely should be blest; But if you treat me with disdain, To hang myself I now would fain; Then pray consent and make me thine, To save from death your Valentine.’
- ‘In Smith's Discourse of the Commonweal, a maker of caps is made to say: ‘I am fain to give my journeymen twopence in a day more than I was wont to do, and yet they say they cannot sufficiently live thereon.’
- ‘This functionary, however well disposed to my friend, could not altogether conceal his chagrin at the turn which affairs had taken, and was fain to indulge in a sarcasm or two about the propriety of every person minding his own business.’
Gladly:‘I am weary and would fain get a little rest’
with pleasure, happily, cheerfullyView synonyms
- ‘And I fain would think that this world of ours is a good world after all.’
- ‘I would fain be friends with you, for their sake.’
- ‘‘Depend upon it that, rude and careless as I am, I would fain practice the yoga faithfully,’ he writes.’
- ‘With such a comrade, such a friend, I fain would walk till journeys end,’
- ‘There was something else which she would fain have said, and she stabbed with her finger into the air in the direction of the Doctor's [i.e. her stepfather's room], but a fresh convulsion seized her and choked her words.’
Old English fægen ‘happy, well pleased’, of Germanic origin, from a base meaning ‘rejoice’; related to fawn.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.