Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A system of rearing livestock using highly intensive methods, by which poultry, pigs, or cattle are confined indoors under strictly controlled conditions.
- ‘She says gardening is a good introduction to issues such as factory farming, pesticides and genetically modified food.’
- ‘Intensive factory farming has happened because of this demand for cheap food.’
- ‘Nor is a return to ‘primitive’ farming practices the only alternative to factory farming and highly intensive agriculture.’
- ‘Laboratories using new tissue engineering technology might be able to produce meat that is healthier for consumers and cut down on pollution produced by factory farming, researchers said.’
- ‘The mountains of manure that factory farming generates foul our air and water, disrupting ecosystems and sickening rural communities.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.