Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
phrasal verbNorth American
Take up an attitude of confrontation, especially at the start of a fight or game.‘close to a million soldiers face off in the desert’
- ‘Joseph stepped away from the fallen soldiers and faced off against Saldraen.’
- ‘This one of the most dangerous situations on the globe: two large countries with nuclear capability facing off against each other.’
- ‘At the end of the month, weekly winners will then move on to the deathmatch round, facing off in a final reader poll.’
- ‘Ellis now found himself at Tiger Stadium for the All-Star Game, facing off against Blue in an historic matchup of minority pitchers.’
- ‘Divided into two teams of four, they face off in a game of paintball warfare in the woods.’
- ‘Some 60,000 French soldiers faced off 6,000 English soldiers, mainly archers.’
- ‘The two teams will face off in a second game on Saturday at 2 p.m.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.