Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a crystal structure in which there is an atom at each vertex and at the centre of each face of the unit cell.
- ‘Pure nickel is ductile and tough because it possesses a face-centered cube crystal structure up to its melting point.’
- ‘Most metals have either a body-centered cubic, face-centered cubic, or a hexagonal-close-packed structure.’
- ‘These so-called face-centered cubic close-packed structures are common in metals such as aluminum, rhodium, iridium, copper, silver, and gold.’
- ‘Between 417°C and its melting point of 1493°C, cobalt has a face-centered cubic structure.’
- ‘The formal term for this orange-pile arrangement is a face-centered cubic lattice.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.