One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Samoa) a person whose birth sex is male but who is raised as a woman, and identifies with neither, both, or a combination of male and female genders.‘he was brought up by a fa'afafine’‘a group of big enthusiastic fa'afafine were belting out showbiz standards’‘the fa'afafine play an important part in society’
- ‘In Sydney conventional anthropological theses about Samoan Fa'afafine are being challenged in a performance being staged as part of the Pacific Wave Festival’
- ‘One of his subjects describes himself as "a Samoan first, fa'afafine second and then fabulous!"’
- ‘The fa'afafine, as they are known, play an important part in society.’
- ‘Is spending $126,000 for a rainbow desk in the Ministry of Social Development to "liaise with gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual fa'afafine, takatapui, and intersexed communities" is political correctness gone too far?’
- ‘Now they've immortalised themselves as a bunch of kids who attend a college where their headmaster is a fa'afafine.’
- ‘How will the recession particularly affect transgender/whakawahine/fa'afafine, whose anti-discrimination protection is still ambiguous?’
- ‘According to most Western anthropological accounts, Fa'afafine are accepted and respected members of society in Samoa.’
- ‘The Green Party's sexual orientation policy supports the elimination of legislative barriers to the full participation of same-sex couples in society, and the elimination of institutional discrimination against anyone who is lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, takatapui, or fa'afafine.’
- ‘A fa'afafine is a Samoan who is physically male but with the spirit of a woman, which is not seen as unfortunate or problematic in Samoan culture, but as a gift.’
- ‘New Zealanders with a sexual orientation or gender identity different from that of the majority include people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, transgender, inter-sexed, takatapui, and fa'afafine.’
Samoan, literally ‘in the manner of a woman’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.