One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Samoa) a person whose birth sex is male but who is raised as a woman, and identifies with neither, both, or a combination of male and female genders.‘he was brought up by a fa'afafine’‘a group of big enthusiastic fa'afafine were belting out showbiz standards’‘the fa'afafine play an important part in society’
- ‘New Zealanders with a sexual orientation or gender identity different from that of the majority include people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, transgender, inter-sexed, takatapui, and fa'afafine.’
- ‘The fa'afafine, as they are known, play an important part in society.’
- ‘Now they've immortalised themselves as a bunch of kids who attend a college where their headmaster is a fa'afafine.’
- ‘In Sydney conventional anthropological theses about Samoan Fa'afafine are being challenged in a performance being staged as part of the Pacific Wave Festival’
- ‘The Green Party's sexual orientation policy supports the elimination of legislative barriers to the full participation of same-sex couples in society, and the elimination of institutional discrimination against anyone who is lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, takatapui, or fa'afafine.’
- ‘According to most Western anthropological accounts, Fa'afafine are accepted and respected members of society in Samoa.’
- ‘How will the recession particularly affect transgender/whakawahine/fa'afafine, whose anti-discrimination protection is still ambiguous?’
- ‘A fa'afafine is a Samoan who is physically male but with the spirit of a woman, which is not seen as unfortunate or problematic in Samoan culture, but as a gift.’
- ‘One of his subjects describes himself as "a Samoan first, fa'afafine second and then fabulous!"’
- ‘Is spending $126,000 for a rainbow desk in the Ministry of Social Development to "liaise with gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual fa'afafine, takatapui, and intersexed communities" is political correctness gone too far?’
Samoan, literally ‘in the manner of a woman’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.