Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A coloured cosmetic applied to the eyelids or to the skin around the eyes to accentuate them.
cosmetics, greasepaintView synonyms
- ‘For a shimmery, personalized lotion, crush bronzer or eyeshadow into fine particles and stir it into the lotion bottle.’
- ‘Then her eyes hadn't looked right, so she'd needed mascara and eyeshadow.’
- ‘She went through it carefully and then picked out black eyeliner, a skin tone colored eyeshadow, and a light pink blush.’
- ‘I was wearing silver eyeshadow, silver lip-gloss, and my nails were painted silver.’
- ‘She had violet eyes that were done up in heavy mascara and eyeshadow.’
- ‘She had lined my eyes and dusted some sparkly purple eyeshadow on my eyelids.’
- ‘Her eyes were heavily made up with black and grey eyeshadow, her skin was dead white, and her mouth was matte and black.’
- ‘Blue eyeshadow painted her eyelids while dark ebony traced her closed eyes.’
- ‘I scrabble frantically for concealer and eyeliner, lip gloss and eyeshadow.’
- ‘His lips were smeared with black lipstick and heavy pink eyeshadow and glitter covered his eyelids.’
- ‘I only bring out the blush, eyeshadow, and mascara on special occasions, or when I feel inspired!’
- ‘A little mascara and a dash of silver eyeshadow, then a touch of shimmery lip gloss and a quick brush of face powder and she was done.’
- ‘She put on black eyeliner, reddish eyeshadow, and black lipstick.’
- ‘She had used a light blush to make Mila's face pinker and a shimmery goldish-brown eyeshadow for her eyelids and dark, but not too dark, pink lipgloss for her mouth.’
- ‘Her look was completed with a touch of lip gloss and eyeshadow.’
- ‘I just throw on some powder foundation, blush, tan shimmery eyeshadow, mascara and a neutral colored lipgloss.’
- ‘After her sister complied, Rebecca twisted her brown hair up and clipped it against her head, dabbing on some lip-gloss and eyeshadow.’
- ‘She took out some foundation, lipstick, lipgloss, mascara, eyeliner and eyeshadow and looked at my face for a minute.’
- ‘I'm not stupid; I know that with blue eyes, pale skin and dark hair, I shouldn't wear really warm eyeshadow colours.’
- ‘I stood perfectly still while Lexie brushed on eyeliner, eyeshadow, and mascara.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.