Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of the upper and lower folds of skin which cover the eye when closed.
- ‘Then, the superior portion of the excision is always in the thin skin of the eyelid.’
- ‘In some cases, hanging skin over the upper eyelid can be removed to restore peripheral vision.’
- ‘My tears sting my eyelids, the torn skin with the laces rubbing my eyes raw on the inside.’
- ‘The oil layer is secreted by 16 to 20 glands in the eyelids called the meibomian glands.’
- ‘If a growth on the eyelid does not go away after several weeks, a doctor may need to treat it or remove it.’
- ‘You don't want to pull the cheek up, take skin out of the lower eyelid and then find out it doesn't hold.’
- ‘Ten days later he noticed drooping of his left eyelid and double vision.’
- ‘There are a number of procedures used to restore the function of the upper eyelid but the lower eyelid is often ignored.’
- ‘You float there feeling the hot sun on your body, the blue sky filtering through your closed eyelids.’
- ‘Without batting an eyelid he pulled out a chest radiograph from behind his seat and asked us to look at it.’
- ‘He had previously undergone insertion of a gold weight into the left upper eyelid.’
- ‘His head began to throb painfully and he felt the eyelid under the laceration lower in reaction.’
- ‘Eyeballs can blister and eyelids seal up, and life expectancy can be significantly reduced.’
- ‘A sad look crept onto his face, and a black eyelid slid down to cover his one eye.’
- ‘Plastic eyeshields, used over a taped eyelid, are a less hazardous alternative for people who smoke.’
- ‘She gave a friendly smile but her eyelids were lowered which was a sign of hostility.’
- ‘Call the doctor at once if the eyelid and area around the eye is swollen, red, or tender.’
- ‘Because when you sleep, your eye breathes from the eyelid, it gets its oxygen from the eyelid.’
- ‘You may develop loose folds of skin on the upper eyelids and deep creases on the lower lids.’
- ‘Thinking this was caused by excess skin in her right upper eyelid, her doctor referred her to the eye services routinely.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.