One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of the short curved hairs growing on the edges of the eyelids, serving to protect the eyes from dust.
- ‘When I lit my cigarette, I also managed to burn my eyelashes and set fire to my hair.’
- ‘Cosmetic eye surgery may also improve your sight if saggy skin in the upper lids hangs over the eyelashes to obstruct vision.’
- ‘Slowly she raised a thin hand to her face and swiped at the rain that clung to her hair and eyelashes.’
- ‘All of her major organs were formed but she had no eyelashes, eyebrows or cartilage in her ears.’
- ‘In ancient Egypt, Priests plucked every hair from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes.’
- ‘She was a spinning dynamo of sequins, hair and eyelashes.’
- ‘Before curling your eyelashes, heat the curler with a hair dryer for a few seconds.’
- ‘Everything about her is long - from her legs to her eyelashes to the dark hair that cascades over her shoulders.’
- ‘His skin was as pale as ever, and dew was shining in his hair and on his eyelashes.’
- ‘His eyelashes fluttered, and his eyes opened.’
- ‘A few strands of hair caught on his eyelash and he flicked his head quickly to get them out of the way.’
- ‘They sing beautifully, play their own instruments and have deep brown eyes and long eyelashes.’
- ‘When you lose your eyelashes, you look very weird.’
- ‘He almost lost his eyesight as a result of this illness and he did lose his eyelashes which never grew in again.’
- ‘A few teardrops clung to her eyelashes and her hair had fallen into her face and stuck to her cheeks.’
- ‘There is no evidence of any talent - her performance is a collection of blank looks and batted eyelashes.’
- ‘Her eyelashes are almost as light as her hair, and I can see a sprinkling of tiny freckles on her nose and cheeks.’
- ‘Dew had settled on her hair and eyelashes by the time she found a good place to practice.’
- ‘Her eyelashes gracefully curved over her eyes and they were even longer than his.’
- ‘An eyelash takes six weeks to grow back.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.