Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A single lens for correcting or assisting defective eyesight, especially a monocle.
- ‘If my wife can have one contact, why can't we have one eyeglass?’
- ‘We manufacture bespoke custom handmade eyeglass frames, spectacle frames and sunglasses in house at our own eye glasses frame making factory.’
- 1.1eyeglassesNorth American another term for glasses
- ‘Treatment may include prescribing eyeglasses or contact lenses to slightly overcorrect night vision and decrease the light scatter.’
- ‘A child's vision should be checked for conditions such as: misaligned eyes, cataracts, and problems that need correction with eyeglasses.’
- ‘Try substituting eyeglasses for your contact lenses when the pollen count is high.’
- ‘You can easily correct this condition with eyeglasses or contact lenses.’
- ‘People who wear eyeglasses or contact lenses must remember to wear them when evaluating eyepiece focus.’
- ‘The right lens of my eyeglasses is scratched to the point of making my vision all foggy in that eye while wearing them.’
- ‘In the future, contact lenses may not just be a cosmetic alternative to eyeglasses, but also a drug-delivering vehicle.’
- ‘Your eyeglass or contact lens prescription should be stable for at least one year.’
- ‘You can easily correct the condition with eyeglasses or contact lenses.’
- ‘But the cost of eyeglasses or contact lenses is more easily managed.’
- ‘Before you set your mind to replace your eyeglasses with contact lenses, take these risks into consideration and then figure out if the benefits outweigh the risks.’
- ‘Patients may operate a vehicle without eyeglasses or contact lenses with a baseline of 20/40 vision.’
- ‘We drive cars with plastic parts, we wear eyeglasses with plastic lenses, and we sip mineral water from plastic bottles.’
- ‘You will not be allowed to wear jewelry, eyeglasses, contact lenses, dentures or wigs during the procedure.’
- ‘Each of the recipients was given a sight test so they could receive the correct eyeglasses.’
- ‘Emphasize to your clients that there is no shame in the use of a hearing instrument, just as there is no shame in the use of eyeglasses or contact lenses.’
- ‘Low vision is a visual impairment not correctable by regular eyeglasses or contact lenses, medicine, or surgery.’
- ‘Contact lenses offer no eye protection, and eyeglasses provide inadequate protection.’
- ‘In some cases, the problem can be corrected by wearing eyeglasses or contact lenses.’
- ‘You may have to remove contact lenses, eyeglasses, jewelry, hairpins and other items.’
- 1.2another term for eyepiece
- ‘A surgeon may utilize a microscope eyeglass assembly in order for him to achieve a desired magnification of the operating area.’
- ‘Means are provided for preventing rotation of the eyeglass lenses when the microscope's binocular tubes are adjusted for the user's interpupillary distance.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.