One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A piece of an optical device such as a microscope, camera, or pair of binoculars which is contoured to provide a comfortable rest against the user's eye.
- ‘Adjustable eyecups work just as well for folks with glasses.’
- ‘The monocular produced a very bright, clear image, however, and we assume the binocular model of the same power, which does have eyecups, would too.’
- ‘One thing noticeable right away was the available eye relief which, coupled with twist up eyecups, make them nicely useable with glasses.’
- ‘A roof prism design, it sports central focusing, click stops on the eyepiece diopter, and helicoid eyecups.’
- ‘Eyeglass wearers will enjoy the extra-long eye relief of these optics with their rubber eyecups.’
- ‘This is a long eye relief binocular, and by rolling down the eyecups, eyeglass wearers can truly obtain a full field of view.’
- ‘A roof prism design, it features central focusing, click stop adjustable eyepiece diopter, and nicely contoured push/pull eyecups.’
- ‘The twist and pull eyecups can also usually be set to ‘in-between’ locations to fine-tune the eye's position to ensure an entire field of view.’
- ‘High-eyepoint eyepieces with lockable push-pull eyecups ensure a full field of view, and the unit is guaranteed to be water- and fog-proof.’
- ‘These are equipped with rubber eyecups which may be folded down for use with corrective lenses.’
- ‘Soft rubber eyecups fold down for use with glasses.’
- ‘The eyecup is even vented so it doesn't suck out your eyeball.’
- ‘These feature a bayonet mount, for easy and rapid changing, as well as push/pull eyecups.’
- ‘They feature fully multi-coated lenses and L-coated prisms, twist-up eyecups and are completely waterproof and have shock-absorbing rubber armor.’
- ‘It also has fold-down eyecups for those who wear eyeglasses.’
2another term for optic cup
- ‘At the stage of operation, the eyecup cells have an undifferentiated, embryonic appearance with numerous free ribosomes and scattered mitochondria.’
- ‘In this work the role of the eye cup in the maintenance of the lens-forming capacity of the cornea and pericorneal epidermis was studied.’
3A small container used for applying cleansing solutions to the eye; an eyebath.
- ‘The resultant tea is used to sprinkle over the eyes or used in an eyewash in an eyecup that can be readily purchased at most drug stores.’
- ‘Do not use an eyecup, eye drops, or ointment unless the poison center instructs you to do so.’
- ‘Pour the tea into an eyecup (available at drugstores) and bathe each eye for at least five seconds, and up to one minute.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.