Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The cavity in the skull which encloses an eyeball with its surrounding muscles.Also called orbit
- ‘A bouncer tried to grab me, but I shook him off with an elbow to his eye socket and a knee to the groin.’
- ‘Also very rarely, sinusitis can spread to form a pocket of pus in an eye socket, the brain or a facial bone.’
- ‘They can go over the surface of the eye socket, go up to the skull base.’
- ‘The horse fractured its skull and an eye socket, and there were fears for his life, while Elliot badly damaged a shoulder.’
- ‘Collins needed stitches but could be fit for next weekend, but Willoughby is out for some time after fracturing his cheekbone and damaging an eye socket.’
- ‘In one incident, a 16-year-old boy was left with a damaged eye socket and a broken nose following a fight in the cemetery at St Michael's Church.’
- ‘And Florie is legally blind in his right eye after undergoing surgery to repair severe fractures of the bones around his eye socket and nose.’
- ‘The 24-year-old has had to undergo major surgery to cut away his scalp and remove a piece of bone from the side of his head to rebuild his eye socket.’
- ‘He suffered a broken cheekbone, a severe head wound which needed stitches, severe bruising to his left eye socket and his nose and elbow were grazed.’
- ‘These glands are located under the brow bone behind the upper eyelid, at the edge of the eye socket, and in the lids.’
- ‘He was taken to hospital with a suspected broken cheek bone and damaged eye socket.’
- ‘I was just pressing the shutter button when the camera smashed bluntly, sharply into the bones surrounding my right eye socket.’
- ‘He has been ineffective and unreliable, missing most of five games because of injuries to his eye socket and his thigh.’
- ‘Four muscles pull each eyeball straight back into the eye socket, shortening the eyeball.’
- ‘A hand slapped up against his face, the thumb probing for his eye socket.’
- ‘Brewer suffered a fractured bone near his eye socket.’
- ‘They were in the eye socket, brain case, and throat.’
- ‘She was taken to hospital where she was found to have suffered two gashes to her forehead and fractures to her right eye socket and cheekbone.’
- ‘Referring to the skeleton's eye socket shape and hip bone curves, Jacob suggested that it was not of a woman at all, but a male who died aged around 30.’
- ‘He has a broken nose, damage to an eye socket and a possible fractured jaw.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.